I made some copper leaves years ago in a metalsmithing course and have wanted to use them in a piece ever since. This is it. I had to make more leaves and couldn’t get the same colouring, I didn’t take notes, so I was just experimenting. I am happy how they turned out. The body is woven with heavy gauge copper strips and that was hard to use. The colouring was experimental and it is exciting to look at the reveal the next day. I took this work apart 4 times because I found mistakes in the weaving. With this weave you don’t find your mistakes until you have woven a few rows and the pattern stops working. Frustrating but necessary to fix.
This piece is entered into a juried show, the Salt Spring National Art Prize show in the fall. It’s a long shot but if you don’t enter you can’t get in. Here’s hoping.
This piece was made for a juried show, LAMP 2015. The theme is crystallize and this is my take on a chandelier using recycled materials. I have enough electrical wire to last a lifetime and I have been making things to use it up. This took tons of wire but I still have lots left. I put 4 pieces on each square side with a half hitch. We had the crystals for years, just waiting for the piece to use them on. Finalists notified in September.
This piece is also entered into the SSNAP show. Crystals and beads finally finding the right place to go. I like the challenge of trying for shows, it really makes me work to come up with something I think is worthy of exhibit.